2 October 2010 - Committee Meeting

Minutes of Committee Meeting held at Stoke Albany on 2 October 2010

Present: Janet, Heather, Sally, Linda, Rosalind, Norma

Apologies: Ann

Janet welcomed everyone to the first meeting of the new committee. She hoped to hold a committee meeting at each gathering at Stoke Albany instead of holding separate meetings. Meetings would be restricted to one hour.

1. There were no matters arising from last Committee meeting.

2. Matters arising from AGM

Appointment of Treasurer. Sally had agreed to take over the role of Treasurer with effect from December 2010. Linda kindly agreed to continue until then. Sally would deal with monies received at meetings and basic expenses and hall charges. Heather would deal with receipt of members’ annual subscriptions. Janet explained that she and Norma had devised a spreadsheet which would breakdown expenditure into various categories for budgetary purposes. Norma agreed to send this to Sally by email. Linda had obtained forms from Bank to change signatories.

3. Correspondence

Notification had been received from AWSD about affiliation fees. These were due by November.

Rosalind had checked AWSD website and would arrange for a link to our own website to be included.

Linda reported that AWSD journal subs were also due and asked if other member were interested in ordering a personal copy. Rosalind agreed to hold and manage loans of the Guild copies of the Journal.

Rosalind referred to the fact that the 2011 AWSD Calendar was now available. She wondered whether we should consider providing some photos for the next edition. Janet suggested that the Guild could have a photographic competition, for both the journal and the newsletter.

4. Newsletter

Heather produced draft of first newsletter and revised brochure. Everyone agreed this was just what was needed and it was hoped that this would be circulated before the end of October.

Some future items suggested for inclusion were a report from Janet on her visit to Birmingham to see the flock of soft benches; a section to welcome new members. Heather said she would be pleased to receive articles for future editions.

5. Programme for next meeting – Celebration of Spinning – Open Day

Notices about the Open Day in November had been placed in the Desborough Rural Trader and the Kibworth Chronicle.

Entry fee would be £5 to include tea/coffee/cake/buffet. Members were requested to bring only finger food and cake for shared lunch buffet.

Volunteers would be needed to make tea/coffee.

Pam had agreed to run small spinning workshops upstairs.

All display items that were usually used on our Stands would be needed.

Show and tell table – please bring lots of items to put on a good show.

Janet agreed to contact Celia to see if she could attend with her soaps and kits.

Anyone with spare fleeces would be welcome to bring them to swap or sell.

Heather agreed to produce a poster for distribution.

6. Workshops

Kelly (who attended Knuston) had advised through ravelry about a craft day at Billing on 30 October and wondered if we would like to be present. It was agreed that we would not attend this year due to other engagements but Janet would make contact with the organisers to see about a booking for next year.

We were already booked to give a workshop on 30 October at Wrekin Spinners as well as a talk and demonstration at Leicester Guild on 16 October.

Janet agreed to follow up with Pam to see about organisation of demonstration at Oxford Guild and would make contact with Kendal.

Charges for workshops were discussed. Based on research on the internet it was suggested that £75 should be the charge for an all day (5-6 hours) workshop and £40 for a half day (3 hours) workshop. This would cover two tutors. Large groups requiring more that two tutors could cost more.

Expenses would be charged separately and the following suggestions were made (based on University scales):
Mileage Maximum of 40p a mile
Breakfast Maximum of £7 if journey starts before 7.00am
Lunch Maximum of £8 if away from home between 10.00am and 3.00pm
Dinner Maximum of £18 if journey cannot be completed before 7.30pm
Overnight Stay By negotiation

7. Financial report

Linda advised that as at 16 September we had £704 in hand.

Still to be paid were Wilbarston Hall charges for AGM; Stoke Albany Hall for October; AWSD affiliation fees of £3.50 a member and AWSD Journal subscription.

Linda agreed to order new Guild bags that Norma had negotiated. The committee agreed that 50 bags could be ordered.

-end-